Skip to main content
What you can do with Altmetrics
1. Find out what attention your research papers are receiving
2. Get notified when your research papers are mentioned
3. Make sure your research is tracked
4. Demonstrate the attention and impact of your research
5. Find research in your discipline that is trending
Advantages of using Altmetrics
► They are quicker to gather than citation-based metrics
► They can capture more varied impacts than citation-based metrics
► They apply to more than journal articles and books
Limitations of using Altmetrics
► Altmetrics don’t tell the complete story
► Like any metric, there’s a possibility for gaming of altmetrics
► Altmetrics are moderately new, more research into their use is required
What are Altmetrics?
Altmetrics showcase the attention and influence of research.
- Altmetrics are metrics and qualitative data that complement traditional, citation-based metrics.
- Altmetrics measures the attention a resource generates online, on the social web, research blogs, bookmarks on reference managers and other sources.
- Almetrics can be applied to journal articles, books/book chapters, software, datasets, websites, videos, etc.
- Altmetrics begin gathering online mentions and shares of your research as soon as it’s published, so you can get almost immediate feedback on how it’s being received long before any citation data becomes available.
Altmetric tracks mentions related to the following types of research outputs:
- Book Chapters
- Journal Articles
- Conference proceedings
- Data Sets
- Working papers
- Grey literature
- Clinical Trials
- And more...
Email us: email@example.com
Call us: +353 (091) 742784
Ask us: Staff are here to help!
Galway 091-742785 | CCAM 091-745409
Mayo 094-9043146 | Letterfrack 091-742666 firstname.lastname@example.org