Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Search + Find is your one-stop search for all library-related materials.
- GMIT Libraries has access to some of the best academic sources for your studies.
- Not only can you search what we have on the shelves, but what we have online, too!
- When you find the book you want on the website you’ll see its shelf number, this will help you find it in the library.
- For online items, like eBooks, simply click on the link to read it online. You may be asked to login to view online items. Use your GMIT login credentials.
How to find things on the shelves
All our libraries use a numbering system called Dewey to arrange books on the shelves.
The way it works is that each subject is given a number and then books are arranged on the shelves in numerical order.
Borrowing during Covid-19 Restrictions
- Our libraries are operating a Click and Collect Service
- Loan periods have been extended to 28 days
- A postal service is available for students whose courses are fully remote
How do I borrow?
- Go to the Information Desk or the Self Service point to borrow and return items.
- You will need to bring your GMIT ID card with you each time.
How long can I borrow items for?
- Students can currently borrow 5 items at a time for 4 weeks (this will be reviewed post Covid-19).
- Theses, maps and some heavily used books are kept at the Information Desk and can be borrowed for 3 hours (Desk Reserve).
How do I renew my book loans?
- Renew your book loans online by logging into My Library Account at library.gmit.ie
- Renew your book loans in the library at the Information Desk (or at the Self Service point in the Galway Campus Library).
- Ring or email us and we'll happily renew your loans.
What happens if my books are overdue?
Fines are charged on overdue items.
- 20c per day for books and dvds. 50c per hour for Desk Reserve items.
- Students with overdue items on their accounts will be blocked from accessing exam results online.
Reserving items that are out on loan
- Items that are out on loan can be reserved on the library website or by completing a reservation request card at the Information Desk.
Borrowing items from other GMIT campus libraries
- Items that are held in other GMIT libraries (Mayo, CCAM and Letterfrack) can be borrowed. Reserve them on the library website or by completing a reservation request card at the Information Desk.
Document Supply Service
- Items that are not held in GMIT Libraries can be obtained by using our Document Supply Service. The cost for students is €4 to €8 per item. Loans from other IT Libraries are free of charge. Online requests can be made here.
Multifunctional devices for printing, photocopying and scanning, and a credit kiosk are available in all campuses.
Printing and photocopying are paid for with a credit system. Please top-up at the credit kiosk next to the multifunctional devices.
Black & white printing/photocopying costs 10c per page / Colour printing/photocopying: 20c per page.
You can scan to your email address for free!
To print from a PC in the library
- User logs on to Desktop PC using email@example.com and their network password.
- From here, when the user wants to print, they simply choose Pull Print – Black and White OR Pull Print Colour as the designated printer.(Note: Default is set to Black and White Pull Print).
- Once the job is sent to either the B&W or the Colour Pull Print Queue, go the print room just inside the library entrance and login to one of the multifintion devices using the same credentials as logging into the PC.
- Touch the screen to releas the print job – the user is not charged until job is released.
GMIT libraries provide a wide choice of study spaces to suit all your learning and studying needs.
Individual Study Spaces
Quiet, individual study spaces with WiFi access are available in all our campus libraries. A number of spaces have desktop computers for student use.
To ensure social distancing there are a limited number of seats available at present.
Please book a seat before visiting the library.
Individual study spaces in a designated Silent Zone are available in the Galway campus library.
Group Study Rooms
Please note there are no group study facilities while Covid-19 restrictions are in place.
Group study rooms are available in the Galway and Mayo campus libraries during Library opening hours to registered students in groups of two or more who wish to work together on projects and assignments.
- All rooms have a whiteboard and many are equipped with laptops and screens.
- Group study rooms can be booked online at library.gmit.ie or at our Information Desks.
Our Libraries provide training spaces for group sessions for student inductions and training purposes.
We're here to help!
Finding your way through the wealth of information resources GMIT Libraries makes available can be overwhelming. Library staff provide support, help and training to help you to get a hand on the library's resources. We have staff with knowledge on information resources in your subject area, who are here to support you with your studies.
There is always someone available at the library information desk to help with your queries during our library open hours. We also provide a real-time Live Chat online service if you are not on campus or you can email us. Following a chat session, you can request a follow up email. Along with being available for one-to-one enquiries and appointments, library staff provide training sessions throughout the year aimed at helping you identify and use the information resources you need for your studies.
Get in touch:
GMIT Galway Campus, Dublin Road, Galway, H91 T8NW.
Tel: +353 91 742785
GMIT Centre for Creative Arts and Media, Monivea Road, Galway, H91 DY9Y. [Map]
Tel: +353 91 770661
GMIT National Centre for Excellence in Furniture Design and Technology, Letterfrack, Co. Galway, H91 AH5K. [Map]
Tel: +353 91 742650
GMIT Mayo Campus, Westport Road, Castlebar, Co. Mayo,
F23 X853. [Map]
Tel: +353 94 9025700
Academic integrity is the moral code of academia. You must have honesty, responsibility and fairness in your studies and acknowledge the work of others by giving credit where you have used other’s work.
Even if you are just starting your course, you can see what is expected of you in your exams. Familiarising yourself with past exam papers is one of the best ways to revise for your exams.
Library Essentials + Quick Guide to Using the Library
Find out more about GMIT Libraries services and facilities and what your campus library can do for you.
Referencing is a key academic skill, you need to reference to demonstrate the extent and depth of your research and acknowledge other people’s work. It helps you to avoid plagiarism!
Research skills refer to the ability to search for, find, get, manage, evaluate and use relevant information to answer questions or find a solution to a problem.
We aim to create a friendly study environment in all our campus libraries.
As a courtesy to your fellow users, please remember the following…
- Maintain silence in study areas.
- Set your mobile phone to silent. Please leave the library to make or receive calls.
- No food or drink apart from bottled water.
Your Campus Library Tour:
To start using the wealth of resources and services offered by GMIT libraries, you need:
Your GMIT Student Card - Use when visiting your campus library and borrowing books and other library material
Your GMIT Login Credentials - Use for logging in to computers and signing into the library's online collections - it's your GMIT email address and network password!
You will receive your student card and login credentials once you have registered.
Your Library account allows you to:
- Check how many books you have on loan and when they are due back
- Renew your books online
- Place a hold on a book that is on loan to someone else or held in another campus library
Galway 091-742785 | CCAM 091-745409 | Mayo 094-9043146 | Letterfrack 091-742666 | firstname.lastname@example.org