Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Using the Library's Search and Find Tool to find Theses and Dissertations
Searching in the Online Library for dissertations is easy. Simply enter the term 'dissertation' as a subject heading search along with your search terms as shown here in our Advanced Search.
- Using the 'Subject Terms' facet or category will narrow down to results with those words only in that particular heading
- Put an 'OR' search limiter in between your subject search to combine both theses and dissertations
- Content from many open access repositories available to search here
- If you see the link to 'submit document supply purchase request' in an record it means that we don't have access to the full text in ATU but it is possible to obtain a copy from one of our partner libraries.
Hard copy Theses
Mayo campus theses are shleved on the ground floor.
Theses are Desk Reserve items; they can be checked out to be viewed in the library only for up to three hours. They cannot be taken from the library.
From 2017 the library hopes to have the full text of some Undergraduate Theses available ONLINE via library SEARCH+FIND. Access will be limited to ATU staff and students using your ATU login and password.
Non-ATU theses may be requested through our Inter Library Loans department. Please note their availability will depend on the policies of the holding library and not ATU.
Online Theses - Postgrad
Research@THEA is the institutional repository for the Connacht-Ulster Alliance Libraries.
This repository makes research, taught masters and Ph.D theses from ATU, LYIT and ITSligo available online.
Other research, including conference proceedings and journal articles by staff and students are also available in the open access repository.
Open Access Theses
You can locate details of theses submitted in other Universities from the following open access sources:
- BASE, operated by Bielefeld University Library, is one of the world's biggest search engines especially for academic open access web resources.
- DART-Europe is a partnership of research libraries and library consortia who are working together to improve global access to European research theses.
- Digital Commons network is one of the biggest repositories in the academic world, bringing together free, full-text scholarly articles from universities and colleges worldwide.
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations is a global digital library of theses and dissertations.
- Open Access theses and dissertations aims to be the best possible resource for finding open access graduate theses and dissertations published around the world.
- Rian is a repository that combines the research and higher theses of 16 individual repositories (including Research@THEA).
There are many other open access resources available, all include theses and dissertations as a content type. See our LibGuide on Open Access for further information.
PQDT Open provides the full text of open access dissertations and theses free of charge. You can quickly and easily locate dissertations and theses relevant to your discipline and view the complete text in PDF format.
| Galway City, Dublin Road 091-742785 | Galway City, Wellpark Road 091-745409 | Mayo 094-9043146 | Connemara 091-742666