Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Library receives a copy of all major theses awarded at GMIT. This collection comprises thousands of volumes of primary research in all taught subject areas.
From September 2016 onwards all undergraduate theses are delivered to the Library via SharePoint - which are available to registered GMIT staff and students and may be accessed, with copyright restrictions, using your GMIT login and password. Selected older theses are here held in bound hardcopy behind the restricted theses area.
- Theses are held in print or online.
- Printed theses are for viewing in the library only and are held in the desk reserve area behind the information desk.
- Online theses can be viewed from any location, some are available on open access others require your GMIT login credentials to access the full text.
- GMIT's copyright terms and conditions apply.
- Please note some researchers have requested that their theses are not made available for consultation immediately or, in some cases, at all.
Searching for Theses in the Library
The easiest way to find a print thesis in GMIT library on a particular topic, is to key in 'and thesis' in the search box with your search term, and selecting 'dissertation' in the content type filter. A search using the classic catalogue will work well for this type of content also.
- You can search by title, author or keywords.
- Once you have typed in what you are looking for in Search + Find, use the left hand panel on the results page to select Dissertations/Theses under Source Type to limit the results to dissertations and theses only.
- If the thesis is in print take note of the class number, go to the library desk and request the thesis for consultation purposes using the unique class number.
- If the thesis is online click on the 'Full Text' or 'Online Access' button to view the thesis online. If you are viewing an undergraduate thesis you will be prompted to enter your GMIT email address and network password.
Other Universities' Theses
You can locate details of theses submitted in other Universities from the following open access sources:
- BASE, operated by Bielefeld University Library, is one of the world's biggest search engines especially for academic open access web resources.
- DART-Europe is a partnership of research libraries and library consortia who are working together to improve global access to European research theses.
- Digital Commons Network is one of the biggest repositories in the academic world, bringing together free, full-text scholarly articles from universities and colleges worldwide.
- EThOS offers free access to the full text of selected UK theses.
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations is a global digital library of theses and dissertations.
- Open Access theses and dissertations aims to be the best possible resource for finding open access graduate theses and dissertations published around the world.
- Rian is a repository that combines the research and higher theses of 16 individual repositories (including Research@THEA).
There are many other open access resources available, all include theses and dissertations as a content type.
See our LibGuide on Open Access for further information.
PQDT Open provides the full text of open access dissertations and theses free of charge. You can quickly and easily locate dissertations and theses relevant to your discipline, and view the complete text in PDF format.
Online Postgraduate Theses
Research@THEA is the institutional repository for the Connacht-Ulster Alliance Libraries.
This repository makes research, taught masters and Ph.D theses from GMIT, LYIT and ITSligo available online.
Other research, including conference proceedings and journal articles by staff and students are also available in the open access repository.
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call us: +353 (091) 742785
Ask us: Staff are here to help!
Galway 091-742785 | CCAM 091-745409 | Mayo 094-9043146 | Letterfrack 091-742666 | email@example.com