Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Library subscribes to the Irish Newspaper Archive. Many of Ireland's most prominent national and regional newspapers are digitised and indexed here, and include the full text of *The Connaught Telegraph, *The Mayo News, *Irish Independent and *Sunday Independent amongst others. Several titles date back to the 18th century so it is an immense resource for anyone looking for historical, social or business data.
Watch this short video on searching the Irish Newspaper Archives.
Irish Times Digital Archive
GMIT Library provides access to the full archive of the Irish Times with over 150 years of Irish Times journalism, as it originally appeared in print. Searchable by keyword and date, GMIT patrons can view reproductions of every page of The Irish Times from 1859 to up to two weeks ago.
Search Tips to search the Irish Times archive
- To find an exact phrase place quotation marks around your search terms, e.g. "George Bernard Shaw".
- The archive will automatically return articles that include all of the search terms.
- The search results are automatically sorted by the oldest articles first; this can be changed to sort by the newest articles, or by the articles that closest match the search terms.
- Event names may have been coined after the event took place, e.g. World War I was known as the Great War. Try to search using words that describe the event or that may have been used in reports.
- Historically there was a tendency to describe people more formally, e.g. Mr. Yeats instead of William Butler Yeats. Initially, try to search by surname only and then refine the results.
- Remember that your supplements for Business or Property may have more of the information you require, those sections can be accessed individually under 'section' when you choose to 'Filter results by'.
Galway 091-742785 | CCAM 091-745409 | Mayo 094-9043146 | Letterfrack 091-742666 | firstname.lastname@example.org