Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Assessment is one of the key functions of teachers in higher and further education with all lecturers responsible for devising, delivering and monitoring the assessment of any courses they teach, with the support of the external examiners. This module which is practically based and interactive, is aimed at providing the basic knowledge and competencies to enable teachers to become effective assessors of student learning. The Certificate in Assessment and Evaluation aims to enable lecturers to explore concepts in assessment and evaluation and to develop their knowledge and skills as effective assessors of student learning and programme evaluation.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to:
- Discuss the nature of assessment in the college environment both at individual student (for accreditation and learning) and at system level (for quality assurance).
- Critically review the formative and summative modes in their own courses.
- Identify the knowledge and skills developed through a specific subject and demonstrate an awareness of how summative. assessment affects student learning .
- Design, implement and evaluate an appropriate assessment scheme for a specific subject area.
- Consider the role of assessment in course design.
- Monitor the quality of course assessment processes.
The module will be assessed through continuous assessment comprising of a critical essay on the implementation in practice of a particular assessment approach and an in class group presentation on an aspect of assessment theory.
| Galway City, Dublin Road 091-742785 | Galway City, Wellpark Road 091-745409 | Mayo 094-9043146 | Connemara 091-742666