The module is practically-based with an emphasis on interactive discussion and group work. It explores Student-Centred Learning (SCL) techniques and activation strategies. The module promotes student engagement, student led learning, retention initiatives and managing transitions. It incorporates peer assisted learning techniques; learning strategies; collaborative learning; mentoring programmes; the promotion of student led learning; SCL assessment design; and formative instructional practices (FIP).
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
1. Evaluate and apply the major concepts, theories and practices of student-centered learning in education.
2. Critically review a range of Retention Programmes and Student Led Learning initiatives.
3. Critically review Formative Instructional Practices (FIP) and how they are activated in the classroom or in an online learning environment.
4. Design a student-centred learning toolkit.
5. Evaluate student-centred classroom strategies and techniques.